Domination: Earth

Use Openstreetmap data/tiles instead of Google maps.

Swedneck

I just started the game and noticed the game uses Google maps, which means my city is about 3-5 years behind reality..

Any chances the game could use Openstreetmap instead? Since anyone can edit OSM users in areas where map coverage is bad can simply fix their area. This also means that players of this game who decide to fix the map would contribute to every other service that uses OSM.

Simply put, the more things that use OSM, the more everyone benefits.

There are some drawbacks to using OSM, unfortunately!

First of all, Google Maps is better performing (especially on mobile devices) and no one enjoys a lagging map. :)
Secondly, "Domination: Earth" is based on a large number of integrated Google services: from core Google Cloud features (including hosting of certain elements, social network authentication and messaging) to advanced geolocation & geocoding features, Google Places, integration with native Google Maps app (you may have noticed that it's possible to use "Directions" feature to any of the resources and lands) and a few other things.
When all of your services are provided by one platform things usually work much smoother (and it's only one dashboard and once customer service for us to worry about :)).

Integration of OSM would require a complete rebuild of many APIs, which isn't worth the time investment at this stage, considering that we'll get a reduced app performance in return.

However, we are monitoring the development and growth of both map service providers and will review the situation if circumstances change!

3 hours ago, Swedneck said:

I just started the game and noticed the game uses Google maps, which means my city is about 3-5 years behind reality..

I'm struggling to understand how not having a new street preventing you from checking in? It's not swarm, it doesn't matter if you check in on a street or in the middle of a field...

I'm guessing playing middle ages based fantasy games is a real pain for you :D

Edited by Eerienkah