Domination: Earth

The ways players play this game?

Z3nd

Question

Ok, I am putting this one on here to give general feedback to the developer about the different way players play this game.  This is a combination of the feedback I have seen on here and on the chat, as well as talking to a couple people offline who play but are not active in either.  I am trying to categorize in general terms.  One or more category may apply to you so speak up on what type of player you are.  Feedback might help the developer get an idea of how and why his players are playing, and may help guide where he chooses the game to go.

• Explorer:  This player travels to different locations such as a downtown area today and a mall tomorrow, and walks around dropping lands or growing if they have been there before.  Possibly the game encourages them to visit a different restaurant each day for lunch, or visit a park and hike the trails.  They play in their leisure time.  I get the impression this was the developer's intent.
  • Walker:  This player has limited means to travel far from home, such as minors or students.  They explore their local area and may visit some others regularly but don't travel much.  They are the ones who liked the ability to drop lands inside of large lands as it lets them grow when they don't get outside of their max radius often.
  • Commuters:  These players ride a distance every day on a bus, train, or in a carpool, and play the game on the road in between.  They are the ones who liked the auto upgrade to a land within 500m as their commute drop is not accurate enough to drop in the same place each time and the flag on the land can get out of range too quickly.
  • Travelers:  These people travel for work or pleasure, and like establishing new bases wherever they go.

• Another category could be Road Warriors.  These are truck drivers and retirees that travel the roads.  I spoke to some I played other games with and who tried this game. They tend to love location based games, but they don't want to be touching their phones all the time as they may be driving.  You already have an auto-follow feature.  Consider an auto drop feature that would drop a land every 15 minutes without touching your phone..  To prevent someone from sitting in one place and leaving this on, you could have it automatically turn off if it drops in the same location twice in a row.  You would have to have the auto lock on land within 500m when this was turned on, but would allow them to slowly take over a route they may make regular runs on.  They would probably build bases where they stop.  They would still need to visit the land remotely to build on it...  It is a whole category of player that is not really playing this because they have to click all the time.

I am an Explorer and Commuter, and may be a Traveler soon...  How do you play?  Do you play some other way?

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Well, I am a student so I think my overall category is clear.

But since I had a big land and could acquire resources easily my focus tended more towards what I could do with this resources. So I travel around the country now and then and establish new bases to hunt the Ai, grow my inventory limit, build Warehouses and Assembly Plants and simply grow my radius of where I can trade, track and attack. This something interesting and so Domination:Earth definitely encouraged me to travel around. For sure it is very expensive resourcewise to build everything in the new established bases especially when you build more in one trip.

I think this is how many players in lategame will play. (But to be honest this is very hard at the moment since some of us don't get to spawn any resources for an unknown reason)

29 minutes ago, Z3nd said:

Explorer:  This player travels to different locations such as a downtown area today and a mall tomorrow, and walks around dropping lands or growing if they have been there before.  Possibly the game encourages them to visit a different restaurant each day for lunch, or visit a park and hike the trails.  They play in their leisure time.  I get the impression this was the developer's intent.

I would really like the game like this, but for me (and probably most players with bigger lands) this would involve travelling to different cities everyday. Due to the size of my land atm my only interactions with DE over the day are capturing at base; collect resources with tracking satellite; hunt AI at different bases. I agree with @Ruvox that another aspect of DE I enjoy is the ability upgrade my lands, grow my wealth and the interaction with other players (alliances [I'm waiting for that update ;)], fighting over areas etc.) be it human or inhuman ones.