Domination: Earth

1.15.1 Generic Enhancements

Mr. D

Hi all,

A small update went live on the Play Store and has been sent to the App Store for review as well (should appear for iOS devices in a couple of days, depending on Apple's review times).

Featuring:

• Flags are now grouped by colour when zooming out Earth View.
  • Zooming in Earth View will display all captured land circles even if their center is not within view.
  • "Upgrade lands within 50m instead of capturing new" setting is now available in "My Profile".

Any questions or feedback - please post! ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marcofi said:

Thank you so much! Maybe it is useful to do the same for resources?

Unfortunately, there are so many more resources than flags around that it will cause mess (and lags) in certain regions.

But I'll have a think about this and possible alternatives. ;)

48 minutes ago, Mr. D said:
  • Zooming in Earth View will display all captured land circles even if their center is not within view.

Great!

As for flags maybe some switch could be added to change bags/towers to flags and vice versa. That would allow us to see land radius and ownership easily. Now bags hide circles and it is not always possible to see is it my bag or no without zooming out.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AntKeeper said:

As for flags maybe some switch could be added to change bags/towers to flags and vice versa. That would allow us to see land radius and ownership easily. Now bags hide circles and it is not always possible to see is it my bag or no without zooming out.

That is right. Maybe the walls and towers could have a color too, like a little flag on the top?

8 minutes ago, marcofi said:

That is right. Maybe the walls and towers could have a color too, like a little flag on the top?

Dynamically-coloured buildings would be a bit tricky, I'm afraid I can't promise that!
But this has been suggested in another thread previously, so once again, I will have a think about what can be done. ;)

Wow. I've been playing this game for a while, but the registration for the forum doesn't work (at least for me) on mobile, so I've been quiet, but silently vocal!

I first want to say that this update sounds great. I'm hoping the grouping will make it easier for me to spot the AI. To be honest, however, I kind of wish the land merging was done a tad differently. I had been hoping for a while that, instead of making a giant circle of land, our territories could simply touch one another. This way, territories and nations would look like real ones, where two touching spots can't grow into each other. I also believe that players should, instead of destroying land, lower some sort of stat equivalent to its level. Once this stat hits 0, the entire territory, full-size, goes to that player. I personally believe this would make the game much more interesting, and could reshape the world every day.

Finally, on an unrelated note, I'd really like to see the UI cleaned up a bit! Maybe "My Lands" could show a list of all owned territories, instead of just nearby. Perhaps they could be sorted in different ways to help people find what they're looking for, or maybe territories could be renamed BY the player. I'd love to see a bigger diversity than just a local landmark when looking at a piece of land. Maybe renaming it to something like "Vacation Base" would be more memorable when I look at a piece of land miles away? This would also help out with constructing in lands where I can't QUITE remember where it was...

Anyway, this is just my two cents, since I've been playing for months now, and have a LOT to say about a game I love! I really can't wait to see this grow, and watch you work on this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, @ShUhFP!
Will run some tests on the mobile forum registration; did not know there were any issues with it!

6 hours ago, ShUhFP said:

To be honest, however, I kind of wish the land merging was done a tad differently. I had been hoping for a while that, instead of making a giant circle of land, our territories could simply touch one another.

This and the shape of our lands seems to be the eternal debate around here! :)
I see where you're coming from (and it would be very easy for me to disable land merging and leave circles touching each other - we already have that block where your smaller land can't grow into a larger one), but there are several things that bother me with that approach:

• This would radically increase the number of flags in any area and in many places that would leave dozens of level 1-2 flags standing next to each other that are completely useless construction-wise (you can't build a tower on a level 2 land) and can't be upgraded because they're so close.
  • This limits the amount of things "to do" in any area: we're currently battling the problem of high-level players being stuck with no ability to capture anything since their base is surrounded by a level 500/800/1000+ land, but this problem is about to be solved with a new construction system that makes large circles very useful (as the larger the circle, the more buildings you can potentially place on it).
    If we disable the merging, we'd end up with the same problem (i.e. nothing to do in an area with 1000 small flags :)), but that also breaks the new construction concept as you can't do much with lots of low-level lands.
  • Unfortunately, for a number of reasons I can't make land shapes truly custom, i.e. touching circles transform into some sort of an amorphous area (it's just the way this game's built; its engine has certain restrictions that can't by bypassed without seriously sabotaging performance or rewriting everything from scratch, which would take months). So the best we could do is have lots of smaller circles touching each other, which I feel isn't going to aesthetically satisfy everyone. :)
    I understand the desire to have more "natural" land shapes, but I think smaller adjacent circles would not really achieve that still!

I also believe that players should, instead of destroying land, lower some sort of stat equivalent to its level. Once this stat hits 0, the entire territory, full-size, goes to that player. I personally believe this would make the game much more interesting, and could reshape the world every day.

It does sound interesting, but it would limit the "open-end"-ness of our game and introduce a certain "lifetime" to it after which everyone no longer captures/upgrades land, but simply sends armies back and forth to regain control over the entire country.
At the moment land damage is what prevents certain territories from over-expanding and keeps their owners busy. :)
But imagine a new player joining the game at a point where their entire country is captured by one person and the only option is to amass a ginormous legion to capture the whole thing at once!

Perhaps they could be sorted in different ways to help people find what they're looking for, or maybe territories could be renamed BY the player. I'd love to see a bigger diversity than just a local landmark when looking at a piece of land. Maybe renaming it to something like "Vacation Base" would be more memorable when I look at a piece of land miles away? This would also help out with constructing in lands where I can't QUITE remember where it was...

Definitely!
Something like that actually exists in my task list, so eventually I'll get to improving the "My Lands" UI further and allow renaming certain possessions of yours. :)
However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to list all of your individual lands in this window (especially if we're talking about cleaning things up :))...
I know for a fact that one of my friends is in possession of over 800 lands. Something tells me that no matter how we sort this, it's not going to be possible to browse or navigate this list in any form. :)
I could introduce "Search" with a limit result set, but that would only work if your lands can be named, so we'll have to discuss this subject again once this feature is implemented. ;)

Anyway, this is just my two cents, since I've been playing for months now, and have a LOT to say about a game I love! I really can't wait to see this grow, and watch you work on this.

Really happy to hear that you're enjoying Domination! :)
And once again, I appreciate your feedback; it's definitely given me some food for thought. ;) 

• Like 2

I definitely see your points, and having some programming experience myself, I know exactly what you mean by engine restrictions. If that's the issue, then by all means, don't rip your hair out trying to find a workaround! 

Really glad that you have passion for this project, and as I already said, I can't wait to see where it goes! 

Oh, I almost forgot, the issue with the mobile registration (at least for me) was that the captcha wouldn't load at all. I hope that helps diagnose the issue? 

• Thanks 1