Domination: Earth

My Lands Tab

Ruvox

Question

At the moment I have six bases and @SebRut and me started to think about a little bit about the My Lands tab growing and growing with any new base you establish.

First, I recognized that you have some sort of hierarchical order when loading the game. If I have a perfectly fine mobile data connection and the game itself would work great but the GPS takes it's time again (sometime in a train this will take a really long time) I'm stuck with the "Retrieving GPS coordinates..." message. Yes, Domination is a GPS based game and it makes sense to don't allow using it without any location data. But I don't see the need of a location when accessing the My Lands tab. For example in this case I could not restock my army in a case of war, I could not collect the hourly resources, I could not use the Tracking Satellite and so on... The only things really needing a location concerning the My Lands tab is if I try to deposit or withdraw items from the warehouse or produce at the Assembly Plant resulting in stocking up my inventory if I am in the base range (never really understood this one though) and the sharing of the resources collected by the Tracking Satellite. 
It would be nice (maybe also battery saving) if I could do anything in the My Lands without a location but as soon as I try to do something which really needs it for example withdrawing an item resulting in the already known "Retrieving GPS coordinates..." message.

Secondly, we thought about the mess if you do things you usually want to do with any bases but you have to do them with each base for its own. It would be nice having buttons doing this for all bases with just one click:

1. Producing items. I usually want to use all my Assembly Plants to produce items not just two of them or something like that. At the moment I have to go into every base then click on Produce Items then confirm this and move to the next base.
  2. Warehouse. I don't understand why there is a Warehouse button for each base since the Warehouses are connected to each other it doesn't really matter on which Warehouse button I clicked. For withdrawing or depositing it might be necessary to know that I'm within a bases radius with a Warehouse built but it shouldn't (at the moment it does) matter on which of those bases I'm at.
  3. Restocking my army. I tend to have all my armies at the maximum. I also tend to build barracks on every base. It would be nice to restock at least the armies of all bases with barracks built with one click.
  4. Using the Tracking Satellite. For sure in the most cases you know that there are resources on this specific land and so you are using the Tracking Satellite of this base. But to be honest who would mind using all Tracking Satellites at once with just one click.
  5. Upgrading buildings. It makes totally sense to be able to upgrade different buildings at different bases separately but I don't really see the point of the upgrade button of the optionally before it was a base built Sandbag Walls. I mean I am not able to upgrade them afterwards so this button is just there for the sake of its existence.

I see all this might in general affect high level players and players who travel often so I think nobody would mind if you would introduce a new building like a base-central giving those abilities but also costing some resources. This would maybe prevent everyone from doing it right when he starts since I can understand that all those points would result in a all in all higher server usage.

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

Thanks, @Ruvox!
Your suggestions make sense, but just to answer the first question: apart from the points listed the GPS is also used to find the nearest land displayed at the top of "My Lands" list. :)

As for the warehouse requiring presence on a base: it's one of the things that gives bases meaning and value. :)
We don't want everything to be done remotely and if there's nothing that can be done only while being on a base there's no reason to actually place your base in a frequently visited area.
This leads to players thinking "oh, so it's actually much better to place your first base some place you're unlikely to visit ever again and advance your land from home instead!" and that messes up the entire game process; we've had this situation before and it motivated people to move their base soon after they start playing.

However, among those players many couldn't find the option of moving your base (despite all the texts, tooltips and pop-ups about it :)) and thought that they've screwed up the game from the first step of the tutorial, which lead to players giving up / uninstalling the game / never coming back.
At the same time the step of establishing your first base cannot be rearranged and must always be the first thing you do in the game (as otherwise you can't collect resources and lands wouldn't advance anything). And forcing the players to wait before establishing the first base is disastrous for retention of new players (if someone can't play the game they've decided to try straight away they're not going to bother coming back later when they are "in the right spot"). And so on and so forth, the list of issues continues. :)

So as you can see, it's a seemingly small feature, but a lot of planning went into it! :)
In fact, it is very much possible that more features will be added in the future that can only be activated while being present on any of your bases.

In any case, I appreciate the suggestions regarding the UI and button shortcuts; I will see what can be done about these! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. D said:

apart from the points listed the GPS is also used to find the nearest land displayed at the top of "My Lands" list. :)

Ahh, I totally forgot about that one... To be honest this point was mainly because of this annoying feeling you get when the "Resources collection is available" notification pops up and you open the app and wait ... and wait ... and wait ... without being able to collect resources just because your old Nexus 5X GPS is tired.

I totally see the importance of having your main bases in spots you frequently visit most likely at home since they allow you to restock on items, spawn resources regardless of all circumstances and to defend them if needed. My Warehouse base related points were less about the need to be present on a base but more about the presence at a specific base.
If I had three bases A,B and C and all of them had Warehouses and I stand in the range of Base C but click on the Warehouse button at base A I am not allowed to deposit or withdraw any items. But if I clicked on the Warehouse button of Base C I would be allowed to do so. Since the Warehouses are connected in both situations I could see the same items and in both cases I would stand in the range of one of my Warehouses/bases. I just don't see why making a difference there. But I totally agree that it should be always required to be physically at one of your bases wit a Warehouse to actually deposit or withdraw items.

The second point was just that I would like to have items produced prior into a Warehouse if you have one and there is space. It's sometimes a little bit confusing when you are at your base and the items get produced into your inventory but you are searching for them automatically in the Warehouse.

1 hour ago, Mr. D said:

In any case, I appreciate the suggestions regarding the UI and button shortcuts; I will see what can be done about these! ;)

Thank you very much for this one !

• Like 2