Domination: Earth

1.18.3 Remote Upgrades

Mr. D

Hi all,

Another update just went live on the Play Store and has been sent to the App Store for review (should go live later this week), featuring:

• When you open a list of existing buildings on any of your bases from "My Lands" you will now see two arrows at the bottom, allowing to view next/previous base without leaving this screen.
    This navigation should help cycle through all of your bases when using Assembly Plant, as well as when upgrading or repairing your buildings in bulk.

• When selecting a placement spot for a building on a level 100+ land it is now possible to keep placing more of the same building without revisiting the "Construct" tab (until the "Cancel" button is pressed).
    This should make it easier to surround your land with walls in one go. :)

• Finally, a feature inspired by my personal travel on top of a mountain outside of my base range (had to travel for 6+ hours to get there) where I've only managed to build a level 4 land before being forced down by weather conditions. :)
    At that frustrating moment I realized that there may be other people around the world who've visited a distant spot of our planet, but never got the opportunity to finish upgrading their land to level 5.

To help with that it is now possible to upgrade any such land remotely for 5 Unobtainium (per land level): when seeing a "This land is too far away!" error message you will notice a yellow "Upgrade" button underneath performing the aforementioned action.
    The price is quite steep on purpose to prevent this becoming a regular aspect of the gameplay replacing actual travels.
    Please note that you still have to travel to establish the initial flag.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or feedback! ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Mr. D featured and unfeatured this topic
2 hours ago, Mr. D said:

When you open a list of existing buildings on any of your bases from "My Lands" you will now see two arrows at the bottom, allowing to view next/previous base without leaving this screen.

Thank you soooooooo much.

2 hours ago, Mr. D said:

it is now possible to upgrade any such land remotely for 5 Unobtainium (per land level)

I've thought about it a little bit because reading this the first time made me feel very uncomfortable with this idea... But I see that this is a very helpful thing for some people including myself. Since it's only upgrades and by a fair price I think it's a fair thing. This gives Unobtainium an additional interesting use which is hard to exploit because "normal" gaming is by far easier and cheaper and rewards at least some people who traveled around. So after thinking about it a little bit, I love this new feature.

• Like 2

I just noticed a very small thing which could be optimized, when using Unobtainium to upgrade remotely the "view-anchor-point" turns back to the current position which is a little bit confusing when remotely upgrading a land farther then 300 kilometers.

1 minute ago, Ruvox said:

I just noticed a very small thing which could be optimized, when using Unobtainium to upgrade remotely the "view-anchor-point" turns back to the current position which is a little bit confusing when remotely upgrading a land farther then 300 kilometers.

True!
I've noticed that too, but considered it a minor issue as a remote upgrade still triggers the 15 minute timer and you're likely to perform other actions elsewhere before upgrading the land again. :)
However, I'm happy to fix that if you're planning to use this feature more frequently and it's causing headaches!

To your second point, you already asked about this and already got answeres to this and it has nothing to do with the new update.
See:

On 29.1.2018 at 6:07 PM, Mr. D said:

* shrug *
That's not our database, I'm afraid; we're storing whatever Google's reverse geolocation tells us for your coordinates! :)

I think they're considering it a separate entity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_and_Jan_Mayen

And:

On 29.1.2018 at 7:22 PM, Ruvox said:

Hong Kong is a part of China, Greenland belongs to Denmark and so on and so on. I don't see any problem there.

And to be honest being the leader of a so remote region like Svalbard is nice enough to be legitimately honored somehow.

Lastly, the website you are referring to has nothing to do with the developer.

• Like 1

At first, I was worried about the remote capture feature. But at 5 Unobtanium, I think abusing the system would be hard. Even at the highest weekly payout, you're only getting 4 remote captures per week, and honestly, this seems fair. Had I seen this update coming, I would have waited and just upgraded an existing Vegas land instead of having my GF grab land. xD

Honestly, I'm glad we've got something new to spend our Unobtanium on. I'm happy to see this update, and incentivized even more to support this game with a subscription. (Even if its partly to raise my Vegas base strength.) 

I'm a tad worried that this game will drift into a state where you never have to leave your house when you play, but at the same time it's a nice late-game reward that we can do so much from home. I wish I knew what your plans are for the game, and what you're hoping this game will become. I'm also split between wanting to see new players, and wanting as much land to myself as I can get. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShUhFP said:

I wish I knew what your plans are for the game

Me too! :) But things shift very quickly due to all the great ideas and suggestions made by players, so it's hard to predict what's going to come next!
However, I can guarantee one thing with certainty: it is highly unlikely that we'll ever reach a state where you never have to leave house to play, as not only it contradicts our main statement and core objective, but one of the top 20 players is a member of my family who's very active and never plays from home. If I implement any ability for "home users" to beat her and negate all her hiking/mountain climbing achievements without getting off their sofa you cannot imagine the world of pain I will be in. :D
So there you go, a safety protocol against pay to win is in place. :)

• Like 1

About the pay to win, what if you could make some money from ads? Watch an ad to skip one claim land or make it 5min faster ones. One more try on the bar code. (You can only watch an ad ones a day) we talked about it in the DE discord server, many agree.

Could we get leaderboard for building value and lost soldiers?

7 hours ago, Grizzlyfilms said:

About the pay to win, what if you could make some money from ads? Watch an ad to skip one claim land or make it 5min faster ones. One more try on the bar code. (You can only watch an ad ones a day) we talked about it in the DE discord server, many agree.

I think we discussed the ads in a separate thread already, but I'll reiterate in case I'm experiencing a deja vu. :)
Unfortunately, there isn't much benefit for me to run in-game ads, but they are guaranteed to ruin the game atmosphere and make it a bit less secure (I have no control over what kind of dodgy apps/suspicious websites get displayed). For all this to be worth the implementation efforts and to outweigh the negatives I'd need roughly 1,000,000 unique users to click the ads every month and we're nowhere close these numbers in terms of population.
The alternative would be a lowered conversion ratio (there will be a large warning on the Play Store saying "this game contains ads", which will scare a percentage of users away, plus fewer users will want to stay in a game with unwanted ads mechanics) and up to $10 per month for me that won't really help the development in any way.

As for the claim land timer reduction: that is a fundamental element of our game which is very unlikely to change; 15 minutes is not just a random number, a lot of thinking went into it.
I've actually seen that Discord chat and I don't see a wave of supporters there. :) But @Ruvox is absolutely correct: changing this cooldown will make all of the achievements to date less valuable and I will never do that to our veterans. Sorry!

7 hours ago, Grizzlyfilms said:

Could we get leaderboard for building value and lost soldiers?

Building value seems a bit redundant, it's just an alternative way of displaying "Richest Lands" (ex-richest lands...?), but it is a bit problematic from a technical perspective; there are too many buildings in the world to count efficiently.
I'll have a think about possible alternatives though. ;)
Lost soldiers... not sure how that's a leaderboard though! Top 100 losers? :D