Domination: Earth

Poor GPS readings

Bourgie

My GPS on my phone is jumpy when I load up my app, in the last few weeks has been a bit worse, there's 2 lands specifically I know we're over 10km from my position when I grabbed them, if this is any issue at all I can send you pictures and descriptions of the exact locations so they can be deleted, I wasn't there so I don't think they should exist, if it's too much trouble then I can keep them but I don't want the game to think I am cheating in any way. Just got a new phone and the problem seems to have stopped overnight, so hopefully it's not an issue moving forward...

Ps. Thanks for the wonderful game, I'm looking forward to more events and updates.

Poor GPS is always a frustrating thing. I could tell you about a bunch of stories where I just hated my GPS...

However, as soon as I know Mr. D and the rules of the game, I am sure this should not affect you in any additional negative way. For sure you can keep this lands, otherwise yo had captured lands just where you were which you would then be missing. If anybody who faces GPS issues would want his lands removed we would get a big list of to be deleted lands.

The important thing is that you never faked your location intentionally. You have no control about where the bad GPS places you. You are just playing the game as honest as you can and capture lands where your location services say you would be which can only be influenced by you moving somewhere in real world or improve your GPS chip.

As I had several strange situations myself (I once had a ferry trip and after I returned my GPS recognized it but then placed me back to my origin (about 50 km away) and placed me back again to my current position) and Mr. D has stated more than one time that he constructed an amazing anti-cheat which is able to identify the difference between "bad GPS behavior" and spoofing I am sure you are not recognized by the anti-cheat in any way. You would have immediately got a message in that case.

• Like 1

Just got the fake GPS warning today while at work capturing the land i was on.. don't mean to be a pain in the @@ but I just want to clarify I'm not using fake GPS especially for lands where I am and have been all day

• Like 1

6 hours ago, General Paco said:

Quick question. My GPS location is having trouble loading I guess. I’m trying to get the location but the game is taking forever to load. Any suggestions?

And the easiest idea for improving accuracy is to have WiFi as well. Also, if your not using a flagship phone, (basically anything older then 3 gens) it's just a big laggy and buggy. I have irl friends that also play and use older ZTE and Samsungs and they experience the same problems at times. 

22 hours ago, Bourgie said:

Just got the fake GPS warning today while at work capturing the land i was on.. don't mean to be a pain in the @@ but I just want to clarify I'm not using fake GPS especially for lands where I am and have been all day

Don't worry @Bourgie, I have reviewed your account manually and can confirm that the anti-cheat made a mistake; I've made the appropriate adjustments and released a fix just now, so it shouldn't happen again. ;)

18 hours ago, General Paco said:

Quick question. My GPS location is having trouble loading I guess. I’m trying to get the location but the game is taking forever to load. Any suggestions?

Is it hanging on the "Retrieving GPS coordinates..." pop-up?
If yes, it could also be an indicator of a bad internet connection!
In any case, please try using the "Log out" button from the upper-left menu and log back in again; that does help with some issues! ;)
Finally, please make sure that you're using the latest version of the app by going to the Play Store and checking if any updates are available. :)

12 hours ago, Republic of America said:

So, I have actually used the same phone since December for the game and as of late my GPS readings are all over the place... Inaccurate up to 200m. It's strange and I'm also wondering, is the servers load starting to cause them to bug out? 

The server load only affects the delay between the aforementioned "Retrieving GPS coordinates..." message and the map appearing for the first time, as it is waiting to retrieve all lands & objects from the server.
However, the actual "blue dot" precision isn't connected to the server in any way and is moved entirely by Google's Location Services (something I don't control, unfortunately :)).
It is possible that Google released some sort of a bad update if nothing's changed from your end!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, XDarkAstora said:

@Bourgiethis problem have I self, my position is in Poseritz (Germany) and my GPS jump to Potsdam (Germany) this is over 200km, and now have I banned please Domination Earth let me free. :-/ I have no GPS fake @Mr. D

Hi!

I've responded to you by email, but will replicate my response here for everyone's sake:

I've reviewed this account manually and believe it to be a genuine victim of a GPS lag (it has been unbanned). However, if your GPS lags are that bad when you enter the game and there are hundreds of kilometers between the initial position and the second update, please let the game focus on your actual position for a few seconds before performing any action.
The anti-cheat can distinguish between you using Fake GPS and having a GPS lag, but actions like that are still listed as illegal as it is apparent that you can't capture land & pick up a resource 300km away after that within a couple of seconds. :)

I'll have a think about possible ways to adjust the game (automatic blocking/unblocking of the ability to capture land & pick up resources while your GPS focuses...?) to avoid such situations, as you can probably understand why I just can't allow these actions to be performed even without Fake GPS in play (this is almost equal to me promoting devices with bad GPS chips to allow remote land capture :)).

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, ADKGamers said:

I too have fallen victim to the 'Fake GPS' warning. Sitting here at work, and got the notification. :(  

Hmm.. are you playing via wi-fi only (no 3G/4G) or using a VPN?

Your phone is sending some strange coordinates; just wondering what the circumstances were!

6 hours ago, Mr. D said:

Hmm.. are you playing via wi-fi only (no 3G/4G) or using a VPN?

Your phone is sending some strange coordinates; just wondering what the circumstances were!

Thanks for the response. No wifi just using 4G. I just kept the game open here for a few moments on my screen and do see that my dot moves around every so often which I haven't seen it do when I'm at home.  I'm not sure if it's the building that I'm in that's causing it and/or being right next to an airport? 

17 minutes ago, ADKGamers said:

Thanks for the response. No wifi just using 4G. I just kept the game open here for a few moments on my screen and do see that my dot moves around every so often which I haven't seen it do when I'm at home.  I'm not sure if it's the building that I'm in that's causing it and/or being right next to an airport? 

It is strange, but it's not the dot's movements that have caused the warning (we do see quite a lot of those)! :)

In any case, I have adjusted the anti-cheat so it shouldn't treat your particular situation as cheating, but please let me know (here or at support@domination.earth) if anything like that happens again!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. D said:

It is strange, but it's not the dot's movements that have caused the warning (we do see quite a lot of those)! :)

In any case, I have adjusted the anti-cheat so it shouldn't treat your particular situation as cheating, but please let me know (here or at support@domination.earth) if anything like that happens again!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the quick response and help :)  

Hey I know this is a little off topic but uh, my GPS stand drifting really bad both within my Wi-Fi and my 4G. I'm fairly certain this is because I'm running a development version of Android or possibly just because Google's decided to start bugging out a little bit. However I wanted to make sure, is there anything I can do to increase GPS accuracy and reduce the chance of me getting hit with a warning? 

I will be traveling this week and it would crush me to get delayed in my playing. 

On 22/06/2018 at 6:02 PM, Republic of America said:

Hey I know this is a little off topic but uh, my GPS stand drifting really bad both within my Wi-Fi and my 4G. I'm fairly certain this is because I'm running a development version of Android or possibly just because Google's decided to start bugging out a little bit. However I wanted to make sure, is there anything I can do to increase GPS accuracy and reduce the chance of me getting hit with a warning? 

I will be traveling this week and it would crush me to get delayed in my playing. 

As long as your location accuracy setting is set to "High" and you're not using any VPN the rest should be up to your GPS chip / Google Location Services, I'm afraid!

However, once again, all warnings that have been issued so far had nothing to do with GPS being inaccurate and drifting around your position, so I'm positive that you should be alright during any travels! ;)