Domination: Earth

Capture & Collect Separation

Mr. D

Hi all,

A small update just went live featuring the following changes:

• Alliance resource sharing is no longer limited by distance from your ally.
    The only requirement for sharing to work is for your ally to be active in the game within the hour, but they can be anywhere on the globe to receive a portion of your resources.

• "Land Capture" action (all Flag buttons) no longer collect resources and will not use activated items, so no charges will be expended upon capturing new lands.
    Resource capture is now only possible to do via the "Hand" button.
    Resource stations can still be captured using the small "Flag" button (remote capture), but once again, that action will not collect any resources other than the station and this will not affect any items that are currently active.

The update is server-side and is already live, so no new app versions are required to be downloaded.

As always, please post if you have any questions. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I have the feeling that this might end very interesting when sharing resources with allies all over the globe. At least some players tend to ally with anybody. This would mean that their (very limited) messages feed would explode by all the "resources received message". 

It is an amazing possibility to support allies who are not very close. But I'm not sure if I always want to share all my collected resources with all my allies who were active within the last hour. This might lead to much less resources for me at the end of the day.
I'm very glad to hear that I can now activate my Super Magnets without any loss of resources or captures on longer trips.
But sounds like an interesting update :D

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Ruvox said:

This might lead to much less resources for me at the end of the day.

Please remember that the people with whom you're sharing will also do the same for you, so it's not a one way loss. ;)
However, if there's someone in your list of allies with whom you'd rather not share at all perhaps it's time to review their friendship status! :)

• Haha 1

In terms of resource collection, would it be possible for the perks that give bonuses work with the tracking satellite? There was a difference between getting resources on a large land using the flag capture and the tracking satellite, but now the former is no longer functional. If there's a reason for not using perk bonuses with the tracking satellite, I could understand that. 

I'm not trying to seed dissent, but pathfinder as well may need to be reviewed.

As for tracking satellite, Idk why..but I always thought that was for gathering on your flags when your out of town... Just as any flag action always cleaned the flag you were on..

But if you're not in town, at current game population, it's likely there's nothing for tracking Sat to recover. Which is also fine.(or expected)

I'm really much happier that flagging and pickups are divorced! Good looking out!

What I was trying to edit between comments #1 and #last was that I would almost expect you (her) to use tracking Sat..as there shouldn't be any difference between tracking and powerups..and the perks that affect them..

The best powerups can only reach out to 3km, not *Everything* in your bases range under flags

5 hours ago, ValarMorghulis said:

How will it share between 5 people? 5 personnel gets captured and everyone gets 1 personnel each (+perks)?

Exactly, it would be seperated by 5 and always rounded up. So if you would only collect 1 Personnel, 5 players would get each one Personnel. If you have the perk activated it's calculated before the sharing so if you'd get for example 10 instead of 5 Personnel it would be just 2 Personnel for each of the five players.

4 hours ago, S Keillan said:

In terms of resource collection, would it be possible for the perks that give bonuses work with the tracking satellite? There was a difference between getting resources on a large land using the flag capture and the tracking satellite, but now the former is no longer functional. If there's a reason for not using perk bonuses with the tracking satellite, I could understand that.

Indeed it's the reason @Irrelevents mentioned. The idea is to support people who go outside and collect resources that way and not the ones sitting on their couch and collecting resources remotely. There is definitely a forum post about it, maybe I will search for it in few minutes and quote it here :D

So after I tried the new resources sharing mechanics for a few hours I have two thing to say imho:

1. I guess it's time now to change the message you get if an allied shares resources with you since "awhile collecting resources nearby" is not necessarily true anymore.
  2. As already mentioned I like that you removed the regional restriction towards resources sharing but I really face a loss in resources now. This loss is created due to my style to play. I'm at the moment that player who loves to trade and sit within his after long time created big land, collecting resources and planning the next trips for establishing new bases (more than 10 bases to come in about 8 days:D). Concerning trading and longer trips with new bases being my main aspect of the game, I really depend on the resources I get every 15 minutes. 
    For sure not all my allies have the same style to play but are nevertheless important allies. Some of them tend to be active at least once an hour but rarely collecting any resources (which is for sure totally OK). So I'm no here gaining between 20 % and 50 % of what I got before but rarely see resources shared by my allies (which again is totally ok, not everyone plays the same way and not everybody can collect resources every 15 minutes).
    This leads to my wish. I'd really like to stick to resources sharing with all allies no matter where they are but how about being either able to deactivate resources sharing with certain allies (so you are still allied land wise and diplomatically) or (which would be my favorite) just share half of your gained resources with your allies every time. This way you would always gain a minimum of 50 % of your collected resources but can share the other half with no matter how many allies you have (which might be especially useful for those player having a big amount of allies).

Maybe I'm not the only one having those concerns maybe I am. But for now it's at least for me a few times harder to gain the necessary amount of resources for things I've planned.

Edited by Ruvox
  • Like 1

The new update drastically diminished my resource gain:

• firstly, sharing all my resources equally leaves me a really low share due to the number of allies and the fact, that I felt to be the more active player, thus receiving far less than I share (excluding Ruvox perhaps),
  • secondly, separating capture action from resource grab action removed one of the important source of income I had: using capture action on utility structures performed a resource grab with the range matching the parent land radius, thus allowing me to gain resources continuously when sitting within the main lands/locations.

I think this new update, at least in terms of resource sharing, will have a negative influence on gameplay. It will deincentify players from allying or being active in resource collection, promoting a more parasitic approach instead, and also make large alliances unattractive.

I'd like to propose a fix that might bring back the balance:

• upon each resource grab, split resources 80:20%,
  • share 20% of resources with all allies, regardless of distance,
  • share 80% of resources with local allies only (the previous range limit),
  • apply perks after sharing, not before.

This will still allow you to share resources with all your allies, but in the same time will diminish the negative effects.

Edited by Олег Поленин
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Олег Поленин said:
  • firstly, sharing all my resources equally leaves me a really low share due to the number of allies and the fact, that I felt to be the more active player, thus receiving far less than I share (excluding Ruvox perhaps),

Maybe you should have fewer Allies? ;) I'm pretty sure it's pretty much how EU works: you have Germany, UK and other big guys who "collect a lot of resources" and have to share them with less fortunate Greece and Co :) Don't like it - Brexit is your answer :D 

52 minutes ago, Олег Поленин said:
  • secondly, separating capture action from resource grab action removed one of the important source of income I had: using capture action on utility structures performed a resource grab with the range matching the parent land radius, thus allowing me to gain resources continuously when sitting within the main lands/locations.

If you had such problems with this separation you should have mentioned it when people where asking for it... Did you?

As for your reasons - again, you want to gain something only by sitting on your couch and it's something that has been discouraged from day one and in every topic... So not sure you have my sympathy here.

I do agree with perks though - I worked hard to unlock them, I should be the one to benefit from them! :) 

Edited by Eerienkah

Ok guys, I hear you! :)

A couple of small adjustments just went live:

• Resources are shared "50/50", where the initial 50% always goes to yourself and the remaining 50% is shared between all of your allies.

• Perk bonuses are now personal, i.e. will be applied to your share of the resources after you receive them.
    I.e. previously collecting 2 units of Personnel, having an active +4 Perk increasing it to 6 and sharing it with 2 allies would mean that each of the 3 participants received 2 units.
    Now your allies will receive 1 unit (50% of 2 units = 1, divided by 2 = still 1) and you will receive 5 (your remaining 50% = 1 + 4 bonus from Perks).

I hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Олег Поленин said:

You can still grab these resources via the Tracking Satellite. ;)

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Eerienkah said:

I'm pretty sure it's pretty much how EU works

No, it's not and I don't really think you could compare such a Union with a bunch of advantages in so many different topics with a resources sharing mechanic within a game ;)

2 minutes ago, Mr. D said:

Resources are shared "50/50", where the initial 50% always goes to yourself and the remaining 50% is shared between all of your allies.

Sounds great!

3 minutes ago, Mr. D said:

Perk bonuses are now personal

I had no problem with this one but it sounds fair to me :D

20 minutes ago, Eerienkah said:

As for your reasons - again, you want to gain something only by sitting on your couch and it's something that has been discouraged from day one and in every topic... So not sure you have my sympathy here.

But he always had to decide due to the "either collect or generate resources"-rule which is irrelevant now. But I totally go with the couch problem. It should never be additionally supported to just stay at home (but still be able to do something at home as it is).

1 hour ago, Ruvox said:

I totally go with the couch problem. It should never be additionally supported to just stay at home (but still be able to do something at home as it is).

Yeah, as far as I'd love to be outside 24/7, most of players do have some obligations that keep us pinned to a single place for most of the day. The thing that most location-based games lack is taking the duller parts of our days into account and allowing some part of gameplay to work while you're stuck in school, home chores or boring work meetings :(

@Mr. D Thanks for your fast response, as always :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. D said:
  • Resources are shared "50/50", where the initial 50% always goes to yourself and the remaining 50% is shared between all of your allies.

• Perk bonuses are now personal, i.e. will be applied to your share of the resources after you receive them.
    I.e. previously collecting 2 units of Personnel, having an active +4 Perk increasing it to 6 and sharing it with 2 allies would mean that each of the 3 participants received 2 units.
    Now your allies will receive 1 unit (50% of 2 units = 1, divided by 2 = still 1) and you will receive 5 (your remaining 50% = 1 + 4 bonus from Perks).

How does that math work against the information popup, that claims the shared resources are "2x"?

Like, it wouldn't change the outcome in the scenario above, but does that 2x modifier still come into play, eg. against the shared 50%?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what modifier you are talking about. :)

If you are referring to the toast message informing you about the amount shared, that "x" refers to the number of allies that received a portion of resources and the other number is the total amount divided between these.

E.g. "60 money shared with x3 allies" (can't remember the exact wording of the message, sorry :)) means 60 was split between 3 people other than you (i.e. most likely each received 20, but in case of uneven numbers the result is rounded up).

Does that answer your question or did you mean something else? :)

I like how this is working with the new modifications. I like the idea of being able to help my allies encourage any low-level players in the Houston area to Ally with me but I also want to keep percentage myself since I do have a lot of allies around the u.s. where I have traveled as I have land near them

• Like 1