Domination: Earth

Capturing at Air Travel Speed

Riylan

Question

So, I searched for an answer to this question, and couldn't find a definitive answer. 

I am about to take a plane trip for work, and am wondering if it would be worth it to pay for the in-flight Wi-Fi to be able to capture land while flying. 

I suspect that it won't work, since I have seen other threads about capturing not working at train speed.  But if anyone has tried it already, I won't need to pay the extra. 

7 answers to this question

Hi,

I probably wouldn't recommend this extra, as it may not work as expected: the problem isn't the speed (same applies to train wi-fi), but the lack of nearby cell towers for quick triangulation of your location.
In cases like that Google's location services are likely to use coordinates provided by the wi-fi (instead of waiting for GPS signals) and that is likely to be a stationary location somewhere in the airport / wherever the VPN is setup.

The same issue happens when you play via wi-fi only and use VPN yourself, your location may be anywhere on the globe without being anywhere close to your actual position and it will not update in real-time. This has caused problems with the anti-cheat in the past, as technically VPNs are a means to fake your position and get somewhere where you aren't located. :)

To sum things up: if your phone manages to capture a GPS signal while flying it may work, otherwise it will be a bit of a disappointment!

25 minutes ago, Mr. D said:

VPNs are a means to fake your position and get somewhere where you aren't located

Oh, I wasn't awared that this could happen. I sometimes use a VPN for different reasons but never had a problem with it. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. D said:

if your phone manages to capture a GPS signal while flying it may work

I don't know if this is a GPS signal as good enough for Domination to work but I can confirm that GPS actually works very well on a plane (at least holding my phone against the window and waiting about a minute usually results in up to 11 Satellites in range on Gmaps I was on the right place).
However, Google's location service might still consider the wi-fi provided position as more accurate and thus choosing this one. Moreover, I was on a ferry with wi-fi not long ago and was not able to play Domination there since such wi-fis often block certain services which are necessary for Domination and other Apps to work.

26 minutes ago, Ruvox said:

However, Google's location service might still consider the wi-fi provided position as more accurate and thus choosing this one. Moreover, I was on a ferry with wi-fi not long ago and was not able to play Domination there since such wi-fis often block certain services which are necessary for Domination and other Apps to work.

Yup, that is the problem with Google location services: it's completely outside my control and does whatever it wants. * sigh *
If we grow big enough in the future and find us some Java developers we may consider building our own version of it, but at the moment we have to live with whatever Google is supplying us. :)

26 minutes ago, Ruvox said:

Oh, I wasn't awared that this could happen. I sometimes use a VPN for different reasons but never had a problem with it. 

That's good! :)
Yes, it doesn't always result in a teleportation effect, but it is possible to achieve. I'm glad it hasn't caught you by accident!

On 8/3/2018 at 4:16 AM, Mr. D said:

To sum things up: if your phone manages to capture a GPS signal while flying it may work, otherwise it will be a bit of a disappointment!

Alrighty, thanks!  Your explanation and the discussion has given me an idea, so I'm going to try setting my phone to GPS only mode, and hopefully that will force the game to use my actual location.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Success!  I was able to get a few lands claimed while flying, and finally got them all turned into bases.

Since we were going a fair bit faster than 101km/15min, I wasn't quite able to get optimally spaced bases.  But I have 4 more than I otherwise would have, so that's neat. 5b6e2773e6626_Screenshot_20180810-195501_DominationEarth.thumb.jpg.924cd808fd15a8d99b41c16507a01656.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new bases!

I not really sure if it's not too easy to establish new bases that way but on the other hand it's pretty expensive (Unobtainium for remote upgrades plus wi-fi costs), not very efficient/accurate basebuilding (I always try to establish them as close together as possible) and somehow a lucky coincidence (flying with an airline which provides working wi-fi which not blocks any service necessary for Domination in an area where you have no bases yet).

... I think I'm gonna search for cheap flights now... My last base-trip was by train and needed 41 hours and 2621 rail-kilometers for 12 more or less efficient established bases. So the plane way would be much more comfortable but has the above mentioned disadvantages. Maybe I'll find something cheap for an area where I've not planned to establish bases efficiently :D.

Even if it's unlikely that the same Airline operates in both US and EU, may I ask with which airline you flew and what the price for what wi-fi conditions was ? 

• Like 1

Delta was the airline, and the price I saw was $16 (USD) for 24 hours of Wi-Fi, good on any of their flights.  Luckily for me, they have a deal with my cell phone service provider (T-Mobile) where I get a free hour of Wi-Fi on each individual flight.  So I timed my hour for mid-flight, and it worked great.  

As for everything that has to come together correctly to make it work, and the base spacing, yeah.  I was only able to get one land on my way there, because GPS only location didn't work (probably the satellites weren't quite in the correct location or something), so I got a land in Ohio where the VPN was located, and then my free hour ran out. 

It is definitely not the optimum way to place(I like your train strategy), but it's nice for getting a few extra bases to extend your influence. 

• Thanks 1