Domination: Earth

2.4.0 Expert Settler Perk

Mr. D

Hi all,

Version 2.4.0 went live on the Play Store and will appear on the App Store soon, featuring a new perk named "Expert Settler".

• "Expert Settler" perk allows to accumulate one extra land capture per perk level every 15 minutes while the land capture is unused.
    Accordingly, having a level 5 "Expert Settler" perk allows to capture land up to 6 times in a row (1 initial charge +5 from perk levels).

• Capturing land resets the accumulation timer.

• The blocking 15-minute land capture timer kicks in only while your land capture charges reach 0. Until then you can capture lands in a row without any delays.

• Charge accumulation continues while you are offline, so if you leave the game for around 2 hours all additional charges should replenish when you return.

• Capturing land more than once within 15 minutes costs resources (captures further apart than 15 minutes are still free).
    Every depleted charge will cost a variable amount of a random resource (never Unobtainium).
    That cost is based on a random % (usually between 1 - 5%) of the maximum amount of resources you can store.
    Accordingly, if your storage capacity for Personnel or Supplies is 1,000 each extra land capture will cost between 10 and 50 supplies/personnel.
    That cost is 10 times greater for Money.
    Travel Points and Peacekeeping Points have the same formula as Personnel and Supplies for the purpose of land capture cost calculation.

• Resource used to pay for the extra charges is displayed on the UI underneath the land capture button and will change every 24 hours (as will the cost %).
    Within the same 24 hours the cost % and resource remain the same for all players.

As always, any feedback or questions are welcome! ;)

P.S. As the new perk is live on our servers, but the old version of the app (< 2.4.0) does not have the new materials (image and texts) the "Expert Settler" perk will not appear correctly until the app is updated to 2.4.0. Please perform an update as soon as possible to avoid broken UIs. ;)

Very interesting stuff here Mr D. Everyone in the discord is figuring out different aspects of it.

So without going into other commentary, everyone was wondering if there was a confirmation dialog, or if it would tell you what the cost was before clicking so you can do a gut check. And I found out, to the tune of 800 travel points (spent on a maxed utility no less 😕), that there is no confirmation dialog.

Some of us have some relatively weighty holdings and could begrudgingly soak a mistake, but if a newer player lost 10% of a resource because their phone was bouncing around in their pocket.. well.

Fools everywhere deserve the safety of a confirmation dialog at the very least! (Maybe one that tells you the cost too 😉) We can tussle about prices afterwards. As always 🍻

(If i could maybe get some of those tp back too.. you know, For Science!!)

Thanks very much for the feedback!

The thought of having a confirmation dialog did cross my mind, but what bothered me is that we already have two pop ups after the land capture (the outcome message plus the land naming facility), and that would add another one pre-capture. 4 taps to capture land seems a bit annoying.
But I'll see what I can do. ;)

Also it has been brought to my attention (apologies for not noticing it sooner) that there's no easy way to find out your current storage capacity, so asking you to calculate percentages of that amount is somewhat cruel. :)
I will address these issues in the next release!

P.S. Restored your travel points as a thank you for being the first person who tried the feature out. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr. D said:

what bothered me is that we already have two pop ups after the land capture (the outcome message plus the land naming facility), and that would add another one pre-capture. 4 taps to capture land seems a bit annoying

Wait, what? I have yet to capture a new land after the "rename lands"-update so I have not seen the popup yet but I thought it was inserted into the original "You have captured a new flag"-message popup. I was quite surprised to learn about it being in a different popup after the initial one. You are right though, 3 popups would be annoying but 2 is too(😅). A confirmation message in some way is needed and a popup might be the only way to go. I would rather try and eliminate the rename popup and maybe hybrid it into the initial capture message? A simple "Name this land" and an input box would be enough.

Thoughts?

Edited by ValarMorghulis
Too fast for my own good

It looks like there is something wrong about capturing utility structures. I was just fully stocked on captures, captured three new Solar Panels within a minute but neither lost a capture stock nor paid the shown 2% Travel Points Fee. 

I have noticed that with stacked captures, the timer on the flag button is not there. One can sort of guess how much time there is until the next free capture by looking at the color change on the flag button, but it is not the same. I would prefer to see some largely precise time from having to avoid a (for me) huge capture cost.

10 hours ago, Ruvox said:

It looks like there is something wrong about capturing utility structures. I was just fully stocked on captures, captured three new Solar Panels within a minute but neither lost a capture stock nor paid the shown 2% Travel Points Fee. 

Thanks very much for the report, I believe this should be fixed now (please let me know if it still isn't)! ;)

8 hours ago, S Keillan said:

Also, the lack of a timer appears to be causing notifications to not be made.

Not "causing" as such, but yes, I've asked our server to only issue push notifications for the last capture, i.e. when you run out of charges. :)
Notifications about recovering your free charge are a bit trickier, since every "paid" capture also resets that timer (it's a miniature nightmare to cancel/reschedule notifications from a technical perspective).
However, I'll add this to my list of things requiring a solution.

9 hours ago, S Keillan said:

I have noticed that with stacked captures, the timer on the flag button is not there. One can sort of guess how much time there is until the next free capture by looking at the color change on the flag button, but it is not the same. I would prefer to see some largely precise time from having to avoid a (for me) huge capture cost.

Noted, will have a think about ways to arrange this information.
As you can suspect, there's only enough space on that button to display the amount of charges or the currently active timer, not both.
Will see if I can move the charges then!

11 hours ago, ValarMorghulis said:

Wait, what? I have yet to capture a new land after the "rename lands"-update so I have not seen the popup yet but I thought it was inserted into the original "You have captured a new flag"-message popup. I was quite surprised to learn about it being in a different popup after the initial one. You are right though, 3 popups would be annoying but 2 is too(😅). A confirmation message in some way is needed and a popup might be the only way to go. I would rather try and eliminate the rename popup and maybe hybrid it into the initial capture message? A simple "Name this land" and an input box would be enough.

Thoughts?

Sorry, merging popups with an input is not quite feasible with the way things are structured currently, as there are dozens of various notifications coming from all sorts of places and not all of them involve the facility to name a land.
However, this problem has been addressed by transforming the 2nd popup into a floating "toast" notification, so there should only be one popup - the land naming one. ;)
I hope that helps!

I am planning to add a paid capture confirmation window in the next release though.

• Like 1