Domination: Earth

Large land mergers

Luna

Question

17 answers to this question

In a merge, one or more lands are merged into another land. The surviving land structures remain intact. The lands merged in disappear along with all their structures, including any utilities built on them. I know that missile launchers that disappear because of this refund 5 UBT though.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:39 AM, Luna said:

Well that’s annoying. In that case, is there any chance that’ll change anytime soon? Directed to Mr. D.

There weren't any immediate plans, but I am open to suggestions!

Please note that you can't have duplicates of some buildings (especially on <100 level lands) and all buildings have to be within their parent land's radius, which is why this feature gets a bit tricky!

On 10/5/2020 at 11:21 PM, Mr. D said:Please note that you can't have duplicates of some buildings (especially on <100 level lands) and all buildings have to be within their parent land's radius, which is why this feature gets a bit tricky!

Well, my suggestion would be to just reassign ownership of any utility buildings from the child land to the parent, and if any overlap the child levels are added to the parent. (And if that’s over 1000, then anything over is lost.) Regular buildings could get materials refunded, but honestly I don’t care all that much about that. It’s the time investment from utility structures I want to keep.

A server-side logic adjustment has just been released:

from now on all Utility Structures and buildings placed at a custom spot (selected by the user on a level 100+ land) will no longer disappear, but will instead get reassigned to the parent land.

All structures built on a smaller (merged) land before it reached level 100 (the ones that do not have a custom position) will get deleted upon merge, same as before, refunding Unobtainium if any of those structures were premium.

Please post if you have any questions. ;)

• Like 1

A concern and a question:

Much of my gameplay involves the intentional disappearance of utility structures as they are merged into parent lands. Currently I have a level 1000 structure that I would like to go away when it eventually gets merged into larger lands that I've invested considerable effort in setting up. It now seems that be for nought, unless those structures are somehow invisible to the capture button (in which case, nevermind 😉).

Also, does this mean that we are returning to the exchange of base points for core structures on all lands? While that would change my gameplay, I would not be complaining. 😁

This is a real thing. I too have changed my play style in an effort to stretch out Any and All playability, and disappearing utilities is kind of a big part of that.

I'd really like to see a something like a toggle or a multiple choice along the lines of "Do you want to keep the utility or lose it in the merge?"

(Getting base points for merging it in would be totally copacetic too! 😁👍)

Ugh, this is awkward!

Sorry guys, I misspoke: the main change was that the utility structures and all the custom-placed buildings now remain after merge instead of disappearing.
With all the other buildings (pre level 100) the focus of my message was on "same as before".
I have to confess that I'd forgotten about the fact that our buildings no longer award base with the experience points and I haven't checked (that area remains untouched). 😊

13 hours ago, S Keillan said:

Much of my gameplay involves the intentional disappearance of utility structures as they are merged into parent lands.

I have to say it is a bit of a bummer for me that this information is coming to light now, after all the work's been done. :)
You know guys that my intentions and primary function here are to keep you all happy (albeit not couching at the same time ;)), which is why when Luna raised this issue on the 1st of October and proposed an adjustment I gave it a few weeks (it's the 21st of October now) before implementing.
As no concerns have been raised and no discussions happened around the subject I have proceeded with the proposed feature as it seems completely reasonable: it is more natural to want to preserve your accumulated building progress than engage in hardcore grinding around the same spot.

I didn't have a strong preference one way or another earlier (I didn't plan to adjust this logic, but there was one complaint about it and no one in favour of keeping it), but I do now (not to waste functional & tested code that took time to produce :)).

So once again, I am open to suggestions, but let's try to think of ways to build on top of what we have (i.e. add new features) as opposed to rolling back as that's super counter-productive. ;)

2 hours ago, Irrelevents said:

I'd really like to see a something like a toggle or a multiple choice along the lines of "Do you want to keep the utility or lose it in the merge?"

That is one option, but I don't like having two sets of rules for different players (with one being preferred for couching-like strategy).
This is also a slippery slope towards "I changed my mind, now I think I should have used the other option" and a whole bunch of UIs and features aimed at reversing this decision.
So let's keep thinking (I promise not to be as "hasty" this time and wait for everyone to weight in :))!

I suppose that I could have said something in advance. It's not that important as I tend to agree with the basic principle and feel this was something of a workaround.

My question is how has the issue of two or more utilities in very much the same spot been resolved. The attached photo shows a sentry turret and a silo, on overlapping lands, that will occupy the same spot when the lands are eventually merged. What will happen to each structure, and which would be upgradable?

The answer to that would help in determining what to recommend.

Screenshot_20201020-202654_Domination Earth.jpg

No worries!
Both structures will remain (even if they are a little too close, although I'm not 100% sure how you managed to pull that off :)) and in terms of upgrades the one that is closer (down to the last meter) will be chosen; failing that, the one that was built earlier, although this sorting logic is easy to adjust.

However, I do remember promising an individual upgrade button (the mini-flag) for each utility structure to allow choosing which one to upgrade and it is still in my task list.
It has been delayed due to some internal complications surrounding the utility structures (it is trickier than it should be), but I still intend to implement this eventually. ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. D said:

Both structures will remain (even if they are a little too close, although I'm not 100% sure how you managed to pull that off :))

One of the structures was built on one land before the second land was upgraded over it. The second land was planted before the second, thus it took precedence and allowed the other structure to be built. Hope that answers your question.

1 hour ago, Mr. D said:

However, I do remember promising an individual upgrade button (the mini-flag) for each utility structure to allow choosing which one to upgrade and it is still in my task list.

If this gets implemented, that would satisfactorily resolve my concern.

• Like 1

In my opinion, grinding structures up to level 1000 and then deleting them seems a bit antithetical to the focus on travel. I hit level 1000 on the turret by my house, so I started spending more time by the lake to grind a spot there instead, which seems much more in line with the playstyle that D’s tried to encourage with the travel point system.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Luna said:

In my opinion, grinding structures up to level 1000 and then deleting them seems a bit antithetical to the focus on travel. I hit level 1000 on the turret by my house, so I started spending more time by the lake to grind a spot there instead, which seems much more in line with the playstyle that D’s tried to encourage with the travel point system.

That is exactly what we're trying to do here! Thanks, Luna. ;)

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 8:54 PM, Mr. D said:

A server-side logic adjustment has just been released:

from now on all Utility Structures and buildings placed at a custom spot (selected by the user on a level 100+ land) will no longer disappear, but will instead get reassigned to the parent land.

All structures built on a smaller (merged) land before it reached level 100 (the ones that do not have a custom position) will get deleted upon merge, same as before, refunding Unobtainium if any of those structures were premium.

Please post if you have any questions. ;)

I inadvertently clicked on the Build Missile Launcher button on a small (Level 7) piece of land when intending to just upgrade wall and tower, and used some of the free Christmas Unobtainium (Thanks, Mr. D!) for a Missile Launcher I didn't really want. 

So if I'm reading this new logic correctly, if I expand a nearby land (Level 8+) and merge the Level 7 land into it, the Missile Launcher will disappear and I will get the 5 UBT back?

No big deal either way, but that would be nice.

On 1/11/2021 at 6:52 AM, EMonster said:

I inadvertently clicked on the Build Missile Launcher button on a small (Level 7) piece of land when intending to just upgrade wall and tower, and used some of the free Christmas Unobtainium (Thanks, Mr. D!) for a Missile Launcher I didn't really want. 

So if I'm reading this new logic correctly, if I expand a nearby land (Level 8+) and merge the Level 7 land into it, the Missile Launcher will disappear and I will get the 5 UBT back?

No big deal either way, but that would be nice.

Correct, premium buildings disappearing as a result of merges will issue a full refund.

Please let me know if you run into any issues though and I'll be happy to help! ;)

• Thanks 2