Domination: Earth

Default defence

AntKeeper

Question

In Army Management dialog there is a checkbox to defend lands nearby. Is there any reasons why army doesn't defend the lands by default? 

It is buried so deep and it seems many players just don't switch it on. When I attack them I see no army in defense. I believe that is not right. I've found that when I attack and my army is moving to the enemy and at the same time enemy attacks me there is still the same army in defense. That's not realistic at all.

Edited by AntKeeper

3 answers to this question

Heya!

If your army is capable of defending your base while it's also attacking another land that's a bug. I will look into that and release a fix. ;)

As for land defence question: your base is generally much more protected than any of your lands. Not only it has concrete walls, but its defence can also be boosted by checking in within its radius.
Let's imagine that I have 100 soldiers and want to destroy your base, which also has 100 soldiers defending it.
Knowing that my 100 soldiers will unlikely survive the attack it would be some good tactics to lure your army out by attacking a nearby land with no defence, slaying them, then proceeding to attack your base.

Accordingly, we thought it is only fair to provide you with control to such scenarios. :)

However, you are right: many people don't notice that option, so I've switched it on by default. ;) 

9 hours ago, AntKeeper said:

So by default the army was protecting the base. I see now. Still not sure it is realistic as when army defend lands nearby they defend all and each lands in 100 km radius if I understand it correctly.

You are correct, but the alternative would require a set of more granular controls to allow defending different lands with differently sized groups of soldiers (or something along those lines :)).

Combat mechanics is planned to be expanded and enhanced greatly, so features like that will keep appearing in various releases from time to time. ;)