Domination: Earth

Game crashes

AntKeeper

I've mentioned about it before but now I want to start new topic about this problem. The game crashes (just closes silently) sometimes after just several seconds of playing. It is somehow connected with the map. When I move or zoom it crashes quickly. If I do something else I have 1-2 minutes to play. That's very annoying.

I have Samsung Galaxy S4, Android 5.0.1. I am not sure, maybe that is only the problem of my system/software but maybe you can recommend something. I had similar problems with some other games with embedded maps but at the same time there are no any problems with original Google Maps/Earth (and any other GPS app), Ingress, Resources, etc. When I check RAM I see 1.44GB/1.82GB when the game is running and 1.33 right after the crash. When I clean RAM I see 1.25GB. I can also see that game eats 205MB after start and 250-300MB after slight map move and then stops. When I just switch between the game and the memory info page I can see that memory usage grows by 5-7MB on each switch even if I didn't do anything in the game. If I slightly move the map it gives me +10-15MB. There is a map location moving to which and zooming gurantees game crash. I am pretty sure there is some memory leak. I've read about some kind of it in Android 5 system but maybe it could be fixed in the game.

I hope you can help me to fix it.

I was actually planning to make an announcement about this next week, but will comment on the subject briefly since it's been raised. :)

You are correct, at least 70% of all our crashes are related to Google Maps SDK & Plugin, and certain custom functionality on top of it.
Unfortunately, it seems that older Android operating systems (especially the 5.x generation) are notoriously incompatible with our flavour of Google Maps.
But our millions of flags, lands, resources and other indicators seem to cause issues for Google Maps on a few other Android devices as well.

Which is why we're going to try and move away from Google Maps very soon and try out Mapbox (OpenStreetMap) instead: its map tiles are known to load a bit slower (since Google's infrastructure can hardly be matched by any other provider :)), but the Map SDK itself seems to be much more stable and works better on older devices.
But I personally think that trading a bit of performance for a significant stability boost is worth it.

I'm hopeful that there will be a release next week, but I'll post in the news section again once it's ready. ;)