Domination: Earth

So i have bad new @Mr D, i love my phone, i have mentioned more than once that i use a Pixel 2. Great phone, i'm also a tech-lover, so when Google Io happened a few weeks back i watched most of the conference. When they announced open Beta for Android P (the next version of android, still hoping for Popsicle) i enrolled within a few hours.

I tell you all this because i have been using the game in the most reason version of Android and i have to tell you... the game sucks in it. Its beyond buggy, it lags, and it crashes... a lot. Im saying "I have seen the future and the future is about... constant reloading your app".  I love the game and am far far to addicted to leave it over minor things like crashes. When i switch from "My Profile" to any other area in the hamburger menu the app likes to crash, also if you track players from the "Scrap Menu" the app will crash. You attempt to update your location from within the app and then open the hamburger menu... can you guess? yeah it crashes.

Now most of this isn't a major problem, and secondly, a lot of this is the fact that GMaps crashes a bunch in P, but at least part of it is a poorly optimized app. the official release probably wont hit till October, an even then only a few of the people using the latest tech will be using it till the new year. The next dev preview will release to us in Sep or Aug, so i understand that you may not have a Sony, Pixel, OnePlus, or Huwie fone easily available, so i will try to keep you updated on major game breaking bugs as they reveal themselves.

Is there anything else i can help with on this? i really suck at writing code but im happy to help any other way that helps if possible :D     

9 hours ago, Republic of America said:

Now most of this isn't a major problem, and secondly, a lot of this is the fact that GMaps crashes a bunch in P, but at least part of it is a poorly optimized app.

Just a thought here... But maybe it's because you are testing poorly optimized and still a bit bugged Android (that's what beta testing is, right?) that you have those issues not because of the app?

Sorry @Republic of America, but I think @Eerienkah is a bit closer to the truth! :)
I do have an Android P emulator and it hasn't experienced any crashes, so if you're saying that even the Google Maps app crashes on your device this means that the beta you're testing lacks certain drivers for your phone or some system libraries are out of date / incompatible with the app's platform.

"Domination: Earth" is hybrid app, which essentially means "it's a glorified website running on your phone". :)
It consists of nothing more than JavaScript, HTML and CSS; all of that is fairly lightweight and the only bits that can potentially crash are the native plugins performing the "website rendering" and providing access to camera, location etc. (the ones we didn't write as they're the same for all hybrid apps in the world :)).
So either the native bits will require updating with the latest Android system libraries / SDK later (although that seems unlikely since the Android P emulator doesn't crash!) or it's the Android P beta itself that is not fully compatible with all mobile devices yet.

I appreciate the report though, it's certainly something to watch out for! :) As soon as I'm on the lookout for a new phone I'll make sure to get one running or compatible with Android P upgrade. ;)

Actully, due to the somewhat high profile of this release (the first public beta) it is extreamly stable. I have only experienced a few minor crashes on apps outside of three: DE, Gmaps, and an app called GuruShots. These three apps dont really like playing nice and tend to close or crash inexplicably. I think i will wipe the data from my phone for DE and see if i have some old stuff playing around and being weird tho. 

Also, P is so stable i have actully been able to run it on my DD and it seems to work pretty well (side note: love the Gesture Nav), i am using the Pixel 2 (the second best phone to run it as its pure android even if it doesnt quite have the Snapdragon 845 (it has 835 unfortunately, tho it was current at launch) so the devise is definitely not buggy. I will keep and eye out as i use P for dozens of hours within a few days and within that DE for at least a dozen hours a week. Ill update below if i notice any change or improvement. 

46 minutes ago, Republic of America said:

Actully, due to the somewhat high profile of this release (the first public beta) it is extreamly stable

Yes, I'm not saying that the OS itself is unstable, but it does consist of thousands of system packages & libraries that the 3rd party components depend on and since the OS is that new not all of them got the chance to be updated or made compatible with every single device.

For example, if DE and Google Maps both crash it could be a symptom of a location services driver glitching.
Or it could be the fact that the Google Play app (used by the apps to connect to Android's internal services such as location) was too old in a development environment that compiled an app, so it doesn't interact with the new features correctly.
The first issue is likely to go away as the device manufacturers keep updating their software, the second one simply requires an app to be recompiled with the latest SDKs in place (as, for example, when our last version of DE was released there was no Android P altogether).

So the situation is unlikely to improve crash-wise on its own, but I'm definitely going to ask you to "try again" after the next DE release (once you download the update). :)
As I mentioned above, I have obtained an Android P emulator and installed the latest OS SDKs, so after the app is recompiled in a new environment most of these issues are likely to go away on their own.
So stay tuned for updates! ;)

• Like 1